This is an easy appetizer to make and enjoy. I've used both french bread and bagettes with this recipe, but I imagine you could use any kind of crusty bread, (sourdough, etc.).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine first 4 ingredients together until well blended.
- Take a slice of the bread and spread onion mixture thinly, (about 2 tablespoons), on one side of the bread. Place on a cookie sheet, onion spread side up, on greased cookie sheet, so the slices won't stick.
- Continue to spread slices of bread until all of the onion mixture is used.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes on center rack, or until the tops of the slices are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let the slices cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- **Note: yellow onions can be substituted for vidalia onions.
This was fantastic. The onion added a new dimension that most similar recipes seem to miss. I made the bread according to the recipe instructions and didn't make any changes, and we all really enjoyed it. So when I make this again, I'll stick to the recipe again. Thank you for posting your recipe, BluJasmine. Made for Spring 2013 Pick-A-Chef.