Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe number 2 for Vidalia onions. This recipe calls for Jumbo Vidalias but the zaar computer wants to call them large. Bad computer, lol.
- 8 large vidalia sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Place Vidalia slices in lightly greased 2 quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring well until smooth. Cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Gradually add milk.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring until it thickens and becomes bubbly.
- Add cheese and salt, stirring until the cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
- Pour over Vidalias and bake uncovered at 350° for 1 hour.
A wonderful way to enjoy those big, sweet Vidalias! I halved the recipe, but did not halve the cheese sauce and it was the perfect amount. This recipe will be a regular for us! Thanx for sharing it!