Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This makes two casseroles. I usually put one in the freezer for another time. A cheesy dish that kids seem to like.
- 2 (1 lb) packages wide egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 5 -6 cups milk
- 2 lbs Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- Cook noodles per package directions; rinse and drain.
- In a large pot, melt 1/2 cup butter.
- Add flour, garlic salt, and onion salt; stir until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Add the cheese; stir until melted.
- Add in the noodles; stir to combine.
- Transfer noodles to two greased 2-quart casserole dishes.
- In a small bowl, add dry bread crumbs and melted butter; toss.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
This is good. I made 1/2 a recipe, with butterfly noodles. DH liked how buttery it was and DD's favorite things are noodles and cheese, so of course it was a hit with her! I served it with some steamed green beans and DH had a bbq pork chop with his. This one is a keeper! Thanks! :)
Terrific! I made this up, and altered it a bit by adding cubed ham (just 1 cut up ham steak), and instead of a bread crumb topping I sprinkled it with more cheddar cheese. My family are big cheese fans, lol. I divided it into 3 casserole dishes because my dishes weren't quite big enough to fit just 2 pans. But then, after everyone finished off the pan...they were wanting more (my 2 year old actually cried when he saw that there wasn't any left!). It has the perfect amount of cheesiness (a word my family has made up, lol), and perfect amount of garlic, onion powder, and salt. This will be a favorite! (Oh, and I finally consoled my 2 year old by showing him the 2 casseroles in the freezer) Thanks!