Recipe by Gagoo
A Southern breakfast favorite, hominy grits form the base of this hearty egg casserole. Team it with a fresh fruit compote and bran muffins for a terrific brunch. From Diabeticliving.com
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces fresh portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced & chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- snipped fresh parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. In a large saucepan, bring water to boiling. Gradually stir in grits. Reduce heat to low. Cook, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese and the salt. Spread evenly in the prepared dish.
- Coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes or until tender and any liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally. Add prosciutto and garlic. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Cool slightly.
- Add egg whites and eggs to the mushroom mixture; stir to combine. Spread over grits in dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through and egg mixture is set in center. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.