Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a nice side dish, for almost any meal. Similar to a stuffing. Flavors are best when it is refrigerated several hours or even overnight before baking. Mushroom lovers can experiment with different mushrooms. More can be added of desired.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms (may add more if desired)
- 4 cups day old whole wheat bread, cubed
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (mild)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- salt and pepper, to your taste
- In large skillet, melt butter.
- Stir in celery, onion and mushrooms.
- Saute over low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions become translucent and mushrooms give up their liquid, about 10 minutes.
- In bottom of 2 quart buttered casserole, spread half of bread cubes.
- Top with half of mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle with half of cheese.
- Repeat with remaining bread, mushrooms and cheese.
- In bowl, beat together eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper, Pour over layers in casserole.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight before baking.
- Bake at 325 degrees, about 50 minutes, until custard is firm.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I was looking for something mushroom and cheesy. I followed this recipe and my boyfriend loved it! I used half and half instead of milk and poured part of the milk egg mixture over the bread cubes first, so I didn't have to wait for everything to soak up. Also used a sage blend instead of mustard powder. Great recipe.