Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A versatile and filling stove-top recipe than can be used as is, wrapped in a warmed tortilla or eaten with crispy tortilla chips.
- 236.59 ml basmati rice (cooked to package instructions with a firm texture) or 236.59 ml white rice (cooked to package instructions with a firm texture)
- 29.58-44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced (to taste)
- 236.59 ml corn
- 29.58 ml chili powder (chipotle, ancho, etc.)
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 425.24 g can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 283.49 g candiced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 473.18 ml shredded cheddar cheese (plus extra for melting on top) or 473.18 ml monterey jack cheese (plus extra for melting on top)
- chopped cilantro, chopped green onion, sour cream and avocado for garnish
- tortilla chips (optional)
- flour tortilla (optional)
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue sauteing another 2 minutes. Add the jalapeno pepper then the corn; stir well. Add chili powder and cumin and stir together until mixed.
- Add beans and drained tomatoes; stir well. Remove from heat and fold in the prepared rice, incorporating all ingredients. Add cheese and stir together until cheese is distributed and melted. Salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. (If your rice is cold, placing the lid on top a few minutes should warm it through.).
- Serve with a variety of toppings: chopped cilantro, green onions, sour cream, avocado slices and chips or flour tortillas.