Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is SO easy and yummy! And best of all only uses 1 pan. I came up with this recipe when we were low on groceries and low on money. Just using stuff on hand in the cupboard and fridge I came up with something everyone loves. My husband likes to put this inside a tortilla and roll it up with sour cream.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (hamburger)
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (more or less to your taste)
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups Minute Rice
- Brown ground beef in large skillet on MD/HI & drain fat.
- Add onion & cook for a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper (if desired).
- Stir in chili powder & mix well.
- Stir in tomato juice & bring just to boil.
- Once boiling add rice & reduce heat to MD.
- Cover & cook 10-15 minutes, until rice is tender, stirring a couple times.
- Stir in 1 1/2 c of the cheese and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and cover 1 min to melt.
I stewed a chicken today to can the stock---the chicken breasts will be for tomorrow with some fresh s teamed broccoli. tonight, I threw this together with the rest of the pulled chicken. I actually added everything except cheese and cooked the rice in a covered skillet with all the seasonings, veggies ( fresh corn/onion/garlic/peppers/tomatoes) and salsa with a touch of hot sauce (and water). When cooked, I transferred it to a casserole dish, topped it with my secret sauce (qual parts ketchup, broth, sour cream, garden fresh green peppers and a handful of cherry tomatoes, a touch of chipotle powder, some fresh oregano/thyme/cumin, thoroughly mixed in my blender. Pour it on, top with shredded cheddar and let it go in the oven until bubbly brown cheese beckons. So creamy, even my pickiest eaters love it. Served with a salad, some beans on the side (again, picky eaters)
I thought my children would love this but they just thought it was OK. I followed the recipe exactly as written. I had made burgers on the grill and made this as a side dish.
Another fast and easy recipe that I can use for the kids at lunch time. I think I could mix this up the night before, minus the rice, then the next day stir in rice and bake. I think maybe 375 degrees for 30 minutes might work. I'll let you know if I give it a try some day. This recipe is a winner in our book. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup game