Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This one is a variation of something my Aunt made while growing up, I have always called it Jen's Goop.. It's PERFECT for watching the football game on Monday nights, or on days where you just don't feel like cooking.. Sometimes we just eat it as a meal on top of a baked potato, or put it in a bowl and eat it with Frito Scoops.. For whatever occasion you make it, I promise if you like cheese, you'll like this..
- 1 lb hamburger (I usually season the meat with Johnny's)
- 16 ounces link sausage (I usually use Spicy)
- 1 (10 ounce) canrotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup salsa (any kind will do)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (sauted)
- 2 (1 lb) boxes Velveeta cheese (the small ones)
- Brown hamburger and sausage meat and put in bottom of crock pot, sauté onions in fat of meat, add rest of ingredients and turn crock pot on HIGH for 3 hours or until cheese has melted. Stir and serve.
- BEST served with a bag of Frito Scoops, or on a Baked Potato.
- Add in's: Black beans, minced garlic, jalapeños.
- *Note* For faster cooking time, cut the Velveeta into small cubes so they melt faster -- *.
Coupled with baked potatoes, this is great hearty recipe. It has some kick to it and makes a full batch (approx. 8-12 people). Mama Jen is a great chef...and an even better best friend.
I made this yesterday for a birthday party and everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. I used turkey sausage to cut down on the fat and 93 percent lean ground beef. I also used a 14 oz can of tomatoes and green chilies and a 8 oz size tomato sauce (because that was the size they came) I used one pound of velveeta and it seemed to be plenty of cheese
OK...So I'm rating this without cooking, but after a month of cooking with ONLY a crock pot and a fondue pot, this has the makings for my next meal. I can tell you at this juncture that "this WORKS!" : ) If I find different after I cook tomorrow, will revise stars as necessary, but doubt that will be required. ...Thanks, MamaJen!