Recipe by Tisme
All done in the microwave. Serve on their own or over pasta. A great dish to serve with a light green salad and fresh crusty bread or garlic bread.
Top Review by katew
I loved these but did not use microwave - I did it all in big pot on stove top and it worked wonderfully. I served this with white rice. I added some tomatoes,basil and other herbs from the garden plus a zucchini. It was delicious.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 500 g beef mince
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 125 g cheddar cheese, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 (400 g) cansdiced roma tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup roughly torn basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 small red fresh chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, extra, to taste
- crusty bread or roll, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the onion and bacon in a large bowl on high for 3-4 minutes approx 850W. Remove from microwave, add mince, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Take 1 tablespoon of the mixture and flatten into a patty shape.
- Place a cube of cheese in the middle of the meat, fold meat to enclose cheese and roll to form a ball.
- Refrigerate meatballs for 10-15 minutes.
- Place meatballs in a 3 Litre casserole dish. Cook uncovered on medium to High approx 650W for 4-6 minutes. Turn meatballs over and cook for a further 4-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the tomatoes, basil, tomato paste, chilli, garlic and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Drain any excess fat from meatballs after cooking and pour the tomato mixture over par cooked and drained meatballs.
- Cook uncovered on medium high approx 650W for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with on their own with crusty bread or over pasta.