Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Mozzarella cubes incorporated into a flavorful, savory meatloaf that includes wild mushrooms and thyme.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄2 ounce dried wild mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup hot water, chopped, soaking liquid reserved
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded, plus 6 oz. cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs ground beef (80% lean)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat bottom of roaster with 1 tablespoons oil.
- In deep saute pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 tbsp, oil. Saute carrots, celery, and onion 8-10 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic, saute 1 minute. Cool 10 minutes.
- In bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs and 1/3 cup mushroom soaking liquid; soak 5 minutes. In anouther bowl, combine 3/4 cup bread brumbs, 1 tablespoons parsley, 1 tbsp oil, shredded cheese, salt and pepper.
- In large bowl, mix beef, soaked crumbs, vegetables mixture, eggs, 1/4 cup parsley, thyme, cubed cheese, salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared pan, shape into a 10" x 5" loaf. Cover top and sides with cheese-bread crumb ixture.
- Bake until internal temperature registers 165 degrees, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes.