Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My family loves this lasagna and it's such an easy recipe but it does take some prep time. It's versatile too and you can add or change things to your liking!
- 9 lasagna noodles, shells (cooked according to package directions)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (I use chuck)
- salt (season to taste)
- garlic salt
- 1⁄2 onion (sauteed, can use other vegs. like mushrooms, peppers, etc)
- 1 (1 1/3 kg) jar pasta sauce (I use 2lb 13oz jar of Ragu Traditional)
- 16 ounces cottage cheese (can also use ricotta)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten with fork)
- 2 cups cheese (mozzarella or Italian blend works good)
- salt (lightly)
- 2 cups cheese (mozzarella or Italian blend to top)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Boil and cook shells as directed
- Brown ground beef, season, and drain grease (reserve 1 tsp).
- Saute onions (or other vegetables in same pan using approx 1 tsp reserved grease -- add more if needed or use butter or other oil).
- combine ground beef, onions, and pasta sauce in same pan. cover and simmer on low while you prepare the rest of the meal. Stir occasionally.
- Mix cottage cheese, egg, then salt and pepper lightly. Mix well and add 2 cups cheese. Mix again.
- Spray a 13x9 inch baking pan and begin to layer in order -- shells, cottage cheese mix, meat sauce (repeat 3 times) and finish off by topping 1-2 cups mozzarella or Italian blend cheese onto lasagna.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes uncovered or until cheese is melted to your preference. I like to sprinkle an Italian blend seasoning or crushed red pepper on our individual servings. We serve this with garlic bread and a salad.
- Let stand approximately 20 minutes before cutting/serving (to set up or else it is too saucy). I use this time to make the salad and toast the garlic bread. This meal tastes even better the next day!