Recipe by Sharon123
From J. Kenji Lopez-Alt who is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab, and changed slightly using almond milk instead of cream.
Top Review by Elmotoo
Carnivores here & we all loved it! I did serve it on a night when dd who doesn't like eggs was elsewhere at dinnertime. Each component came out just right & were delicious together. I cooked my own beans vs. using canned which I cooked a couple days ahead. Thank you for the recommendation in Veggie Swap. :)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non dairy milk or cream)
- 3 ounces grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups finely shredded kale
- 1 teaspoon lemon, juice of
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup finely sliced scallion (whites and light greens)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add beans, almond milk, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer, then mash beans lightly with a potato masher. Add water until a loose, porridge-like consistency is reached. Stir in cheddar and Parmesan cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add kale, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing and stirring frequently, until wilted and starting to crisp, about 4 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add eggs, season with salt and pepper, and cook until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes.
- To serve, stir half of scallions in white beans and adjust consistency with water as necessary. Transfer to warm bowls, top with sautéed kale then with a fried eggs. Sprinkle with remaining scallions and grate some Parmesan over the top. Serve immediately.