1/3 Photos of Cheesy Mashed White Beans With Kale, Parmesan, and a Fried Egg
From J. Kenji Lopez-Alt who is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab, and changed slightly using almond milk instead of cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non dairy milk or cream)
- 3 ounces grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups finely shredded kale
- 1 teaspoon lemon, juice of
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup finely sliced scallion (whites and light greens)
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add beans, almond milk, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer, then mash beans lightly with a potato masher. Add water until a loose, porridge-like consistency is reached. Stir in cheddar and Parmesan cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add kale, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing and stirring frequently, until wilted and starting to crisp, about 4 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and transfer to a bowl.
- 3Heat remaining tablespoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add eggs, season with salt and pepper, and cook until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes.
- 4To serve, stir half of scallions in white beans and adjust consistency with water as necessary. Transfer to warm bowls, top with sautéed kale then with a fried eggs. Sprinkle with remaining scallions and grate some Parmesan over the top. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Mashed White Beans With Kale, Parmesan, and a Fried Egg
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 580.1
- Calories from Fat 242
- Total Fat 26.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 220.8 mg
- Sodium 454.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 34.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
unsweetened almond milk