Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I freeze a couple cups leftover mashed potatoes from different meals each time to have for this soup! this is great without the ham, but I like to add it in, we love lots of spice so I add in 2 jalapeno peppers with the onions, but that is only optional, serve with crusty bread for a filling main meal ---- this soup is delicious, you know I wouldn't take the time to post anything that's not, so please enjoy! :)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (can use more to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups chicken broth (or use turkey broth)
- 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham (can use more)
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup 18% cereal cream (or use whipping cream)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste or use white salt)
- 1 -2 teaspoon coarse black pepper (or to taste)
- chopped green onion
- grated parmesan cheese (optional) or grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add in onion, garlic, thyme and chili powder; saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in sliced mushrooms and saute until tender.
- Add in chicken broth and cooked ham; cook until heated through.
- Mix in mashed potatoes with a wooden spoon until smooth and no lumps remain; bring soup to a simmer over medium heat.
- If you find that the soup is too thick for your liking then add in more broth.
- Reduce heat to low and add in cheddar cheese until melted and smooth.
- Season with season salt and black pepper and add in more chili powder if desired.
- Mix in sour cream and table cream until heated through (DO NOT boil!).
- Ladle into bowls then sprinkle with chopped green onion and Parmesan cheese or grated cheddar cheese (if using).
Excellent. I actually had Green Chile Mashed Potatoes on hand and used them in the soup. It was a hit at the "Soup Party" we took it to and we will definitely make it again.
Absolutely amazing soup! I didn't add in the chili powder and I used cubed already cooked potatoes instead of mashed potatoes. Oh yes and I omitted the mushrooms. That said, this soup was amazing! We loved the flavor and I was sad to see it gone. Thanks for the great recipe!
OH KITTENCAL! This soup is to die for! Creamy and extremely tasty! Definitely a rib sticking and hearty soup, almost a chowder in consistency! I omitted the chili powder as my DH doesn't like anything hot. So Good! It was more labor intensive for me as I didn't have any left over mashed potatoes so I had to make them while the onions were cooking. GREAT! BRAVO! :yummy: Thanks for posting! The recipe was tagged in the "Belly Warmers: Soups And Stews - January '09 Event."