Recipe by *Parsley*
Oh I just love carrots and cheese together! For me, this is almost as good as some cheesy mashed potato casserole.
Top Review by KelBel
I had a cheesy carrot casserole a while back and have been trying to re-create it since. Sorry to say, this wasn't it. This was too salty and the herb mixture did not, in my opinion, go well with the carrots.
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into about 1/2-inch slices
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or mild cheddar or American cheese)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup soft breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a 2-qt or larger baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place carrot slices in a large pot and just cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and cook carrots until tender; about 10 minutes.
- Drain carrots and place them in a large bowl. Add butter and milk and mash with a potato masher. Add onion, cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme and parsley and mash together to desired smoothness.
- Place into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp melted butter with the breadcrumbs; sprinkle over mashed carrot mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 - 40 minutes or until bubbly.