Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A cheese lovers delight! Serve as a side dish, or double to make it the main course. Vary the cheeses to suit your own taste. Vegetables such as mushrooms, onions, or peppers could be added to bulk it up.
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 (7 ounce) package linguine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- Cook linguine according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter over low heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and basil until smooth.
- Add milk, stirring to blend.
- Bring mixture to a boil and stir constantly.
- Mixture will thicken.
- Remove from heat and add cheeses, stirring well until melted.
- Add lemon juice to cheese mixture.
- Place cheese mixture upon cooked and drained linguine and toss well to coat.
My family really enjoyed this side dish. It is kind of like an Italian macaroni and cheese because it was loaded with creamy melted cheese. The dish had a subtle hint of lemon with basil which was nice. I only added 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice which was perfect for my family because it gave a hint of lemon but did not truly flavor the dish. The recipe did not state the amount of butter to use when preparing the dish so I assumed 3 Tablespoons (like making a white sauce). Thanks for sharing your recipe!
I decided to make this recipe because I wanted something different than normal pasta with tomato sauce. I added some garlic salt to the sauce because most of the cheese sauces I had like this usually have a bit of a garlic flavour. I used 3 tablespoons of butter like the other reviewers.
This wasn't bad. I, too, assumed about 3 tbsp. of butter & cut the lemon juice in half. It reminded me a lot of country gravy.