Recipe by calouste
A friend and I developed this recipe as something that he can eat after gastric bypass surgery. It has lots of protein and is relatively easy to digest. Plus, it's really good!
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 cups green lentils
- 2 bunches scallions, chopped on the diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 -2 cup shiitake mushrooms or 1 -2 cup other mushroom, roughly chopped
- 1.5 (14 ounce) jars cheese sauce (see note)
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups shredded cheese (we used Cheddar)
- fresh coarse ground black pepper or grains of paradise
- 1 cup instant rice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven for 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Saute scallions on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute for about 3 more. Now add all of the lentils, and stir them into the sauteed veggies till thoroughly mixed. Turn up the heat to high and add the water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and cover the pot. Let cook for about 20-30 minutes, till the green lentils are tender. (The red ones will turn into yellow mush. This is desirable).
- Remove from heat and drain everything in a colander.
- Tranfer lentils to either the pot you were just using, or a casserole dish if you're not using the instant rice. (The rice will absorb some liquid and provide for a firmer texture. The recipe works fine without it, though).
- Add 1.5 jars of cheese sauce (we used Ragu Parmesan Mozzarella) to lentil mixture, and mix thoroughly. Spread evenly in your casserole dish.
- Sprinkle/grind pepper or grains of paradise over the top, as desired. Top everything with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. At this point, the cheese will be melted. Now turn your oven up to broil/500F and let broil for 5 more minutes. Now the cheese topping will be a lovely toasty brown. :) Remove from oven and serve.