Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe about 30 years ago, when I was living in England. I was a young bride, not able to cook anything at all. I bought a tin of cooked Ham, and this recipe was on the back, so I made it! I passed it on to my mother, who loved it too. It is quick and easy, tasty, a is good for almost any occasion, from casual family meal to the "I'm not cooking tonight" evenings!
- 3 large leeks
- 8 slices cooked ham
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups matured cheddar cheese
- black pepper, ground,to taste
- salt, ground,to taste
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup extra cheese (or less)
- Gently fry onion and sliced Leeks in a little butter or margerine, until soft.
- About 2 minutes.
- Remove from pan, reserving juices, and place in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Roughly chop Ham slices and add to Leek and Onions.
- Make a white sauce, using the pan juices and a little extra butter- about 1 tablespoon.
- Add Cheese to the white sauce, and stir until it has melted.
- Grind salt and black pepper into the white sauce, to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the leeks and onion and Ham.
- Top with breadcrumbs.
- Add extra cheese to the top.
- Place in a 180 degree Centigrade,pre-heated oven, for 20 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are a little crisp and cheese has melted.
- Serve with boiled new potatoes, a green salad and Peas.