Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a great recipe to use up all your garden tomatoes, using sour cream and onion flavor potato chips will increase the flavor to the mixture, you could use regular dry breadcrumbs but I find that panko is better, or use 2 cups of either potato chips or the breadcrumbs.
Top Review by Darlene Ross
This had wonderful flavor. My only problem with it is it took 1 1/2 hours to bake. Next time I will cover the dish with foil and remove it at the end to brown the top. I don't care for potato chips in recipes so I used 2 cups of Panko crumbs instead. As I said earlier, this really had a wonderful flavor. Thanks KITTENCAL.
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided, or use mozzarella cheese)
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (or use regular dry breadcrumbs)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the crushed potato chips with the breadcrumbs.
- Arrange HALF of the tomato slices (3 tomatoes) in the bottom of the casserole dish, season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with 1/3 cup (or to taste) Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle HALF of the onion slices over the Parmesan cheese, then HALF of the shredded cheese.
- Top the shredded cheese with the potato chip/breadcrumb mixture.
- Repeat the layer one more time ending up with the breadcrumb mixture on top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crispy.