Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great make ahead picnic fare.
- 1 head lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen green peas
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 lbs shredded cheese
- In a 9x13 inch dish, layer the lettuce, onion, water chestnuts and peas.
- In a medium bowl combine the mayonnaise, sugar, seasoned salt and garlic powder.
- Mix until smooth.
- Spread over the top evenly over the top of the peas.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove salad from refrigerator and top with the bacon, tomato and cheese.
I cut this one in half and made it in an 8x8 glass dish. The lettuce stays crisp and it really is a good combination of flavors. We especially liked the peas and water chestnuts, so crunchy! This is truly delicious, I will make this again! Thank you so much Barbara!
I have never made a salad like this so I was worried that the lettuce and peas would turn to mush over night, but I needn't have-they were perfect. The whole layered thing worked well and it was so yummy but so rich. We ate it as leftovers the next night and it was great then too. Thanks for the recipe Barb.
A wonderful layered salad. I made this to take to a party. It looked lovely. The veggies stayed fresh and the bacon and cheese added a nice flavor. Thanks Barbara, this is a great all-around salad.