Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom used to make this dish and it was always a big hit. Now it's a big hit in my house too! Also, it's still super yummy and much healthier if you sub the ground beef for ground turkey, just remember to add lots of Italian seasoning to the turkey and sauce so it's still super flavorful! Enjoy!
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray bottom of casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray or rub with oil.
- Pour in uncooked rice. (You may need more than 1/2 cup, but there should be JUST enough to cover bottom of the dish). Add 2-3 pads of butter on top of rice.
- Lay thin slices of potatoes over rice layer, and then a layer of onion rings.
- Add small pads of butter and sprinkle some of the salt, pepper and Italian seasoning over the layers.
- Repeat layers of potatoes and onions, butter, then sprinkled seasonings 2 more times.
- Season uncooked ground beef with Italian seasoning and spread out over top of all layers.
- Top the ground beef with enough spaghetti sauce to cover completely.
- Add more Italian seasoning if desired.
- Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove dish from oven, remove foil, and top with cheese.
- Place back in oven for 15 minutes.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!
This is very tasty meal. More like a cassrole than a meatloaf. The next time I make it I would pre-cook the potatoes as they did not get done even after 1 1/2 hours