This is a great casserole, it tastes similar to lasagna. You can also top with grated cheese the last 15 minutes of baking if desired, I also like to add in some green bell pepper and dried chili flakes for heat but that is optional.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- fresh sliced mushrooms, any amount (or use canned, drained)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (or to taste)
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- 4 cups medium noodles (use any kind of pasta you desire, 4 cups measured after cooking)
- 1 cup cottage cheese or 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (optional or to taste) or 2 cups cheddar cheese (optional or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a large lasagna dish.
- Cook the pasta until only firm-tender; drain (it does not have to measure exactly 4 cups cooked, careful not to overcook the pasta as it will cook more in the oven) drain and transfer to a bowl, toss with a couple tablespoons oil to prevent sticking; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook ground beef, onion, jalapenos (if using) mushrooms and minced garlic until meat is brown and cooked stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, tomato sauce salt and pepper, stir until heated through (you can the sauce for up to 45 minutes on low heat).
- Spread 1/2 meat sauce on bottom of pan.
- Spread 1/2 noodles on top of sauce.
- Top noodles with 1 cup mozza cheese.
- Mix 1 cup cottage cheese with 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Spread over mozzeralla cheese.
- Top with remaining tomato sauce, noodles,and remaining mozza cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered for 20 mins, uncover casserole (at this point you can sprinkle with grated mozzeralla or cheddar cheese if desired).
- Return to oven to bake for another 10-15 mins, or until bubbly.
My family really loved this hearty dish. It is much like lasagna. Yummy!
A very tasty casserole, that was simple to put together. The mozzerella cheese made it very stringy, so next time I will substitute half mozzerella/half cheddar cheese.
Made this last night and my dh loved it ! We didn't use parmesan cheese as we don't like it ! Used more cheddar and mozzarella and it turned out great ! I've posted the pictures !