Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe I got from Betty Crocker. I alter a little and it turns out great!
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups uncooked rotini noodles (4 oz)
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups italian-style croutons
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 oz)
- 1. In large pot, cook beef and italian sausage, onion, bell peppers and garlic over medium heat until beef is brown and onion is tender; drain grease.
- 2. Stir in water, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir in pasta, brown sugar, Italian seasoning and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender.
- 3. Set oven control to broil. Pour hot soup into 6 ovenproof soup bowls or, if you don't have this you can pour it all in a big casserole dish. Top each with 1/4 cup croutons. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil soup with tops 3 to 4 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.