Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Wonderful comfort food that is perfect on a cool rainy or winter's day! This makes a large amount which makes it perfect for a larger family, or have it for two meals, it taste even better the next day ;-) Dryed smoked sausage can be used in place of the kielbasa, my family likes extreme heat so I add in Tabasco ;-) I use The Best Creole/Cajun Seasoning Mix for this
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped, optional but good to add)
- 1 -2 tablespoon cajun seasoning (or to taste, depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 lb kielbasa (thinly sliced)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, undrained
- 4 (15 ounce) cans pork and beans, undrained
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- In a large Dutch oven or pot brown the ground beef with onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and Cajun seasoning over medium heat, breaking up with a spoon to crumble the meat.
- Cook until the meat is browned; remove the mixture to a bowl and drain fat.
- To the pot add in the sausage and brown, then return the cooked ground beef mixture back to the pot.
- Add in the tomato soup, diced tomatoes with juice, undrained pinto beans and undrained pork and beans; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours (the longer this is cooked the richer and thicker it will be!).
- Season with salt and pepper then stir in the shredded cheddar cheese.
Yummy.I was even short two cans pork and beans for this we used one large can baked beans.Was still great.Also made bergys cheese and cornbread or dumplings.recipe17473.We made the dumplings and cooked on top.thanks
This is definately comfort food. Made this on a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon. I made only half of the recipe and used only one can of each bean, and it still made a ton of food. There is only two of us, and we will probably eat this three times each. Serve with hot biscuits or cornbread. yummy.