Recipe by Fishermanswife73
Quick Cooking 2004 Freezer Pleasers
Top Review by LonghornMama
Great! A little different than the typical casserole, and a great way to use some extra zucchini. The family really enjoyed this, and I was suprised they didn't complain about the additional veggies! Would be a great OAMC recipe, but this time I halved the recipe, prepared early in the day, and baked before dinner. Combined the macaroni and sauce, then layered that with the cheeses. Used the time bake function on my oven, so baked covered the whole time. Was great to come home from the kids sports with dinner all done! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 12 ounces small elbow macaroni
- 2 lbs kielbasa or 2 lbs Polish sausage, halved legthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Brown sausage in oil in a large skillet. Add onions, zucchini, carrots and garlic. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomatoes, bring to a boil, simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- In each of 2 greased 13x9x2 baking dishes, layer a fourth of the macaroni and meat sauce.
- Combine the egg and ricotta cheese; spoon a fourth over the sauce and sprinkle with a fourth of the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
- Repeat the layers and top with the green onions.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Serve one casserole.
- Cool the second casserole; cover and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Thaw frozen casserole in the refrigerator 24 hours and remove 30 minutes before baking.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.