Slightly spicy, intriguingly savory and deliciously comforting. Made with stone ground yellow cornmeal and whole wheat flour and buttermilk.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup stone ground yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in 1 tbsp. water
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, preferably old
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 28-inch square baking pan, lightly greased.
- 3In food processor, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pulse to blend. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a measuring cup, combine buttermilk, egg yolks and jalapeno pepper and beat well. Pour over cornmeal mixture and pulse just until blended.
- 4In a mixer on high speed, beat egg whites with ¼ teaspoons baking soda, dissolved in 1 tablespoons water until stiff peaks form.
- 5Fold in cheese. Fold in cornmeal mixture and spoon into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until top is golden and springs back, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 8 servings.
- 6VARIATION: Cheesy Chipotle Cornbread: Substitute 1 minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for the jalapeno.
- 7TIP: Not only does pulsing blend the dry ingredients, it also aerates them slightly, contributing to a lighter result.
- 8The Complete Whole Grains Cookbook J. Finlayson.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread (Whole Grain)
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.0
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 84.4 mg
- Sodium 546.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 9.2 g