Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A long time family favorite! ---you may omit the jalapeno pepper if desired and adjust the cayenne and garlic powder to taste.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (if possible use stone-ground cornmeal)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- seasoning salt (I use about 1-1/2 teaspoons, or use white salt)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- black pepper or cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed and chopped coarsley
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup bottled roasted red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped, or to taste)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, coarsley grated
- butter (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl whisk together cornmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, black pepper or cayenne, garlic powder if using and sugar.
- In another bowl whisk together cooled melted butter, egg and buttermilk; then add in the chopped corn, onion, roasted bell peppers, chopped jalapeno and Monterey Jack cheese; add to the cornmeal batter and stir until JUST combined.
- Heat a large griddle to medium-high heat, the spread with butter (use as much butter as desired).
- Drop about 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle spreading to about 3-4-inch cakes.
- Cook the corn cakes for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden.