Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Just reading this makes anyone hungry! It is very easy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausages
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 (10 ounce) loaves French bread
- 1 (4 ounce) cansliced drained mushrooms
- 2 (16 ounce) jars tomato sauce
- 3 -4 medium chopped green peppers
- Cut the sausage links to 1 inch pieces,then cut each in half.
- In skillet,on medium heat,brown sausage.
- Drain,saving 1 TB of drippings.
- In the fat,saute the mushrooms,green peppers and onion.
- Then add the sausage and sauce.
- Reduce the heat,simmering for 45 minutes.
- Plit the bread loaves in half.
- Spoon the meat mixture upon each half,sprinkling with the cheese.
- Put loaves on baking sheet.
- Let broil until cheese has melted.
Very, very easy and a big hit with the guys. I used polish sausages instead of the crumbled italian sausage and just browned the pieces to give them extra flavor (since they are already fully cooked). I will definately keep this as a quick and filling dinner.
These were very tasty!! We used banana peppers that we had just picked from the garden. Also, instead of jar sauce, I used homemade sauce that I keep in the freezer. These will make great "tailgate" food when football season starts!