1/1 Photo of Cheesy Italian Oatmeal Pan Bread
1 hr 30 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
I found this recipe on the back of a bag of Pillsbury flour. This bread has great texture and flavor and looks good as well. I made mine on a round baking stone so it was shaped more like a pizza. The bread is at its most amazing when it's fresh from the oven, but it's still soft and flavorful the morning after - I know because I ate some for breakfast! Prep time includes rising/resting. Eight servings is an estimate - our family of four ate about half of it at one meal (served alongside pasta).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml water
- 236.59 ml rolled oats
- 44.37 ml butter
- 946.36-1182.95 ml flour, divided
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml salt
- 2 (14.17 g) package yeast
- 1 egg
- 236.59 ml shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1Spray 13*9 baking pan with no stick spray (other pans work as well - I used a large round baking stone with great success).
- 2Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan (or in the microwave); stir in rolled oats and butter.
- 3Cool to about 100 degrees (I got impatient and added a couple of ice cubes to cool it down quicker).
- 4Combine sugar, salt, yeast and 1 1/2 cups of the flour in a large mixing bowl, blend well.
- 5Add rolled oats mixture and egg. Blend at a low speed with an electric mixer till moistened, beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- 6By hand, stir in 1 3/4 cup to 2 1/2 cups flour and the mozzarella cheese to form a stiff dough.
- 7(*I just put everything in my standing mixer bowl and mixed it with the dough hook.).
- 8If kneading by hand, knead in 1/2-3/4 cup flour on a floured surface till dough is smooth and elastic.
- 9(Depending on your flour, humidity in your home, etc., you may need more or less flour - you want a smooth, elastic dough that is not too sticky.).
- 10Shape dough into a ball and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 11Punch down dough and press into prepared pan. Using a very sharp knife, cut diagonal lines 1 1/2 inches apart, cutting completely through the dough (I didn't cut all the way through and it pulled apart just fine).
- 12Repeat in opposite direction, creating a diamond pattern.
- 13Cover and let rise in a warm place till light and doubled in size (about 45 minutes - less if you use rapid rise yeast).
- 14Heat oven to 375. Uncover dough, redefine diamond pattern if you like.
- 15Combine parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and garlic powder and set aside.
- 16Spoon 2-4 T of butter across the dough.
- 17Bake 10-15 minutes.
- 18Brush remaining butter over partially baked bread.
- 19Sprinkle with parmesan/herb mixture. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, till golden brown.
- 20Serve warm or cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Italian Oatmeal Pan Bread
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 439.5
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 61.5 mg
- Sodium 781.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 12.8 g