1/2 Photos of Cheesy Italian Meatballs
Another great find in my Dairy Australia Cookbook. My teenager's loved this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (700 ml) bottle tomato passata or 1 (700 ml) reduced salt crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 400 g lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100 g low-fat cheddar cheese, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese, for serving
- chopped parsley, for serving
- 1Heat the oil in a heavy based casserole dish and add only half the carrot, onion, and garlic. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes until softened. Stir in passata, tomato paste and water, simmer for 5 minutes.
- 2For the meatballs: Combine the remaining carrot, onion and garlic with mince, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg and seasonings. Knead thoroughly with your hands until the mixture is very sticky, shape the mixture into golf ball sized balls and stuff each with one cube of cheddar ensuring that the cheese is fully enclosed. (Moistening your hands with water helps here in shaping the balls).
- 3Drop the meatballs into the simmering sauce, cook over low heat, covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Serve meatballs sprinkled with parsley and parmesan, over spaghetti or just accompanied with seasonal vegetables or a salad.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Italian Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.8
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 81.5 mg
- Sodium 803.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 23.7 g