Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an easy family favorite from my mom! Great for holidays and potlucks too!
- 1 (32 ounce) package hash brown potatoes (I use the chunk ones)
- chopped onion (Use as much as you like)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheese (Cheddar, American)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, cut in chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper, as desired
- 1 (16 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- Mix together sour cream & soup. Add salt, pepper, onion, cheese, & margarine. Add hash browns, making sure they are broken up. Put in a greased 9 x 13 pan (I use a glass pan). If you wish, mix 2 cups crushed corn flakes and 1/4 Celsius melted margarine and put on top of potatoes. Bake 1 hour in 350 oven.
Cheesy hash browns have always been one of my favorite side dishes for dinners. My sister would always bring them to our family gatherings and finally she gave this recipe that she found. I was surprised on how easy it was to prep and make. I choose to leave out the onions, but I love that the recipe only calls for a few different ingredients that I usually always have in the house. The prep work is super easy as well. I love that I can mix it all up in a few minutes and then we have a delicious side dish that goes great with any meal we are having. I have not tried making it with the crushed corn flakes on top, but I definitely will have to try it next time I make this. It is a very easy and delicious side dish to make, and I would recommend it to anyone who just wants to add a little something different to dinner during the week or as a great side dish for family gatherings and holidays. It is very delicious and a sure hit with friends and family.
Always a big hit at our house. Potatoes, cheese, sour cream, butter, what is not to love. Made for Spring PAC 2013.