I was searching for a hash brown casserole but I couldn't really find any that was vegetarian & still sounded good. I modified a recipe I found online & made this delicious comfort food.
- 1 (20 ounce) packageshredded hash browns (refrigerated kind)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces light sour cream (I use the Daisy brand)
- 2 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used Mexican 4 cheese blend)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray an 8x8 glass pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the melted butter, salt, pepper, & parmesan together in a small bowl. Combine the hash browns, soup, sour cream, milk, & 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese together in a large bowl. Pour the butter mixture in with the hash browns then stir until well blended.
- Note: Save the rest of the shredded cheese to place on top of the casserole.
- Smooth the mixture in the 8x8 pan. Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the casserole. Broil on high for additional 5 minutes or until the top begins to turn golden.
Took it to a breakfast for dinner potluck and it was a huge hit! And it was very simple to make with little prep involved. I did have to cook it for about 30 min longer than the instructions said. Broiling at the end is key: completely changed the appearance of the dish and gave it a nice crispy top.
Easy to make and a good potato dish. Ours was not done in 30 minutes. I wound up cooking it another 30 minutes. Our potatoes just wouldn't get done. DD loved the addition of parmesan cheese. Made for PRMR 2009.
My hubby and I really enjoyed this casserole. It came together quickly and tasted so good! I used just a regular shredded cheddar cheese. I'll have to try the mexican blend next time. Thanks for sharing! Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders Tag.