Prep 20 mins
Cook 1080 hrs
A great side dish for an everyday family meal, or a dish for a party
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 2 lbs hash browns
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- mix together the first 4 ingredients.
- put half of the hash browns into a 9x13 dish.
- put on 1 cup of cheese, and half of the soup mix.
- add another layer of hash browns and then the cheese and soup mix on top.
- crush the corn flakes and mix with the butter.
- spread the corn flake mixture on top.
- bake at 350 degrees for 45 mins-1 hr, if the has browns are thawed, 1hr-1 1/2 hr if not.
Cut the recipe in half for DH and I but instead of the full amount of sour cream I used half and a full can of cream of mushroom soup. I did add some garlic seasoning the the onions but otherwise went with the recipe. Next time I might add some red pepper for a little zing. Served with recipe#467346#467346 and recipe#248996#248996. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
We love this! This the ULTIMATE comfort food!!!! Here are some suggestions: Add 2-3 cups diced ham for a MAIN dish casserole OR substitute Fiesta Nacho Cheese cream soup (Campbells).....that will zest-ify this recipe (we do it all the time!)...to go with the Fiesta flavor, add a 4-oz. can of diced green peppers. Whooeee! Reduce sour cream to one cup and add a second can of creamed soup--different flavor. Also, I add about a half-cup of melted butter to the whole thing (over and above the half cup for the cornflakes), and mix (rather than layer) EVERYTHING IN ONE BIG BOWL (except the butter & cornflake topping).
my husband and i thought there were too many onions, but other than the overpowering onion taste the dish was rather bland.