Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a yummy comforting food for the winter months, or any night really.
Make and share this Cheesy Hamburger Potato Soup (Crock Pot) recipe from Food.com.
- 7 -8 cups diced potatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 cups water
- 2 lbs hamburger, browned, and drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Put onion, potatoes, hamburger, and water into crock pot and cook on low heat for 4-5 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- Then add in the rest of ingredients and let cook for another 2 hours, or until you are ready to eat.
- Use salt and pepper at the table for taste.
This was good but rich rich rich! I'm pretty sure it's 5 pounds to the thighs but it is fantastic for filling you up on a cold winter night.
The flavor was really good. It's kinda like Hamburger Helper (but soup) and the Velveeta makes it taste so much better. The potatoes were really good in this. I cut mine real small and accidentally cooked on high 6 hrs and they came out so tender, but not mashed. I didn't measure the spices but I know I used more like a tablespoon of onion salt. I let the onion cook in the crock as directed and they came out very tender. I too like a thicker soup so I will also start out with less H2O next time. Thank you for a yummy and different soup!
Didn't have time yesterday to do this in the crockpot. Used a stovetop method & it worked very well. Came together quickly. The only things I did differently to the recipe were add a tablespoon of chicken base to the potato water and add some granulated garlic to the seasoning. I cooked the onion with the ground beef before adding. Next time will also add some diced celery. I like a really thick soup, so next time will start with 4 C. water and add if/as needed. This is a simple, delicious, inexpensive meal that we will enjoy many times in the future.