Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a good & easy casserole for using up leftover ham. Spice it up as you like. Great for dinner with a salad, or would also be good as a brunch dish.
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1 (24 ounce) bag frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large saucepan, melt margarine; stir in flour.
- Add milk all at once--cook& stir until bubbly; cook 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat& stir in cheese& mustard.
- Set aside.
- Place half of the ham in an ungreased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Top with half of the hash browns& half of the cheese sauce.
- Spread the spinach on top of the cheese layer.
- Repeat layers with remaining ham, potatoes& cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
The spinach adds a bit of sophistication to this down-home style casserole.We enjoyed the flavor.I did add some chopped onion to the ham layer.
We aren't big on cooked spinach so I replaced it with minced onions and it was really good. I changed the servings to 4 because there were only 2 of us and we finished it off, so I'd say make more than less. Next time I make this I will add a beaten egg to the cheese sauce after it's cooled a little to help the moisture set up a bit because it was a little soggy.