Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great kid pleaser.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 2 cups shredded mild yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese, DIVIDED
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 lbs diced hash brown potatoes, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish with butter or cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Add salt, white pepper and parsley. Add the yellow cheddar cheese, 1 cup of the sharp white cheddar cheese, ham, onions and diced hash browns. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 cup of sharp white cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
This came out good, but I wasn't crazy about the custardy texture of the egg/milk/cheese mixture. I like the idea of this casserole and I like everything that went into it, but if I try it again, I think I'll try it without the eggs and milk. Maybe the ham, cheese, onions and seasoned potatoes could just be layered and baked. This also reminded us of a breakfast kind of thing, so maybe it would be good as a breakfast side dish. Thanks!