Recipe by Debbwl
Picked this up some years back at the state fair from the California Sweet Potato Council. This dish is very rich and filling and was the only way DS would eat sweet potatoes when he was young.
Top Review by Kmac
Really good...and actually, I was a little suprised. Wasn't sure I'd like the ham and swiss cheese sauce with sweet potatoes, but had some leftover ham and a bag of sweet potatoes, so looked for a menu that used them both. It was super tasty! Loved the sauce, and like others, I did add more milk, and was glad I did. Made it much easier to spread the sauce while layering and made it really creamy. THANKS for a great new recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh sweet potatoes (yam variety)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 lb ham, cooked, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash sweet potatoes. Cook unpeeled sweet potatoes, covered, in small amount of boiling salt water untill tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Cool. Peel and slice 1/4 inch thick; set aside.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add onion, cook until tender. Remove from heat; stir in flour, salt, basil, mustard and pepper. Cook over low heat until bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in milk all at once. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir one minute. Remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 cup of cheese and the ham.
- Pour half of mixture into greased 2 quart casserole. Arrange half of sweet potaotoes on top. Repeat layers. Bake at 350*F, 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 3 to 4 minutes longer, or until cheese has melted.