Recipe by Tish
Another fast fun recipe from Taste of Home magazine....and for all you anti-velvetta guys, sorry.
Top Review by Dadenk
I make this soup all the time and my whole family loves it! It also freezes really well. I often will use basmati if I don't have any brown rice on hand and usually add an 8 ounce package of sliced fresh mushrooms right at the end. And I usually use milk instead of 1/2 and 1/2.
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 2 2⁄3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 8 cups water
- slivered almonds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender.
- Add carrots; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine the flour, salt and pepper.
- Gradually stir in cream.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Stir in the wild rice, ham, brown rice, bouillon, celery mixture and water.
- Return to a boil.
- Sprinkle with almonds if desired.