Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is one of those comfort food dishes I created out of necessity because we were snowed in and this is what I had on-hand. Feel free to substitute whatever you've got or what you think might taste better, since the whole thing was a desperate measure anyway. I think this one turned out pretty darn good, though, even if I do say so myself. As an added bonus it came out pretty carb-friendly. The hot sauce isn't necessary, although I'd bump up some other spices in its place or this would probably be pretty bland.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cut green beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, partly drained*
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup hot sauce (I use Tabasco, but whatever)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- *What I mean by "partly drained" with the mushrooms is to let the water run out but don't press down with the lid to squeeze the water out.
- Brown ground beef and onions together until beef is browned; drain most of excess liquid (don't go nuts, just get what you can with a spoon).
- Prepare instant rice according to package directions: bring water to a boil, then add rice. Stir, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir, cover, and let sit an additional 5 minutes.
- Reserve about 1/2 cup grated cheese; combine all the rest of the ingredients in a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes; sprinkle reserved cheese on top and bake an additional 5 minutes or until melted.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.