Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I know it sounds like a very bad recipe. That's what I thought too. Crazy thing is *it's really good!. I got it from my mom (who got it from a friend) and after months of bugging me to try it, I did. I was shocked that I liked it. My husband has given it to a few guys at work and all love it.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grits (not instant)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (with or without peppers)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp (peeled and cooked)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (drained)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Prepare grits in broth and salt according to package.
- Reserve a 1/4 cup of both cheeses for topping and combine the rest.
- In large fry pan saute onion, garlic, and bell pepper in the butter.
- Add to grits (after grits are prepared).
- Combine Rotel, shrimp, 1/4 salt with grits.
- Pour into a 2-quart casserole; sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes and then serve.
- NOTE: This is rather spicy and I don't handle "hot" to well, so I also tried it with diced tomatoes and not Rotel. It was okay, but to me better with the Rotel.