L.A. Pet Groomer's Note:
I know it sounds like a very bad recipe. That's what I thought too. Crazy thing is *it's really good!. I got it from my mom (who got it from a friend) and after months of bugging me to try it, I did. I was shocked that I liked it. My husband has given it to a few guys at work and all love it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grits (not instant)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (with or without peppers)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 1/2 lbs shrimp (peeled and cooked)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (drained)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Prepare grits in broth and salt according to package.
- 2Reserve a 1/4 cup of both cheeses for topping and combine the rest.
- 3In large fry pan saute onion, garlic, and bell pepper in the butter.
- 4Add to grits (after grits are prepared).
- 5Combine Rotel, shrimp, 1/4 salt with grits.
- 6Pour into a 2-quart casserole; sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- 7Bake at 350°F for 30-45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes and then serve.
- 8NOTE: This is rather spicy and I don't handle "hot" to well, so I also tried it with diced tomatoes and not Rotel. It was okay, but to me better with the Rotel.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Grits and Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (641 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 646.9
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 401.3 mg
- Sodium 2254.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 59.0 g