Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Instead of prosciutto, use any thinly sliced deli meat. Recipe is from Rachael Ray.
- 1 lb small eggplant, trimmed and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 2 1⁄2 cups jarlsberg cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) packagethinly sliced prosciutto
- Preheat a grill to medium.
- In a large bowl, toss the eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill, turning once, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Lay the bread on a work surface.
- Top 4 slices with a layer each of cheese, prosciutto, eggplant and another layer of prosciutto and cheese.
- Top with the remaining bread slices.
- Brush the outside of the sandwiches with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Grill, covered, turning once, until crisp, about 2 minutes.
I made this exactly as posted and used my charcoal grill. The eggplant was wonderfully smokey tasting, and the cheese melted perfectly. I can't believe it, but this was my first time to toast a sandwich on the grill, and it will be a repeat! Yummy!
What a great sandwich! Eggplant tastes wonderful in this. I used prosciutto and made it in my panini maker. For PAC 2009
FABULOUS Lainey! We BOTH enjoyed these sandwiches for lunch today......I used panini rolls and Emmental cheese with prosciutto ham as suggested. The addition of the grilled aubergines was a triumph! We ate these with a green salad and freshly sliced tomatoes - this is a keeper. Merci - made for Holiday tag. FT:-)