Recipe by Lainey6605
Instead of prosciutto, use any thinly sliced deli meat. Recipe is from Rachael Ray.
Top Review by breezermom
I made this exactly as posted and used my charcoal grill. The eggplant was wonderfully smokey tasting, and the cheese melted perfectly. I can't believe it, but this was my first time to toast a sandwich on the grill, and it will be a repeat! Yummy!
- 1 lb small eggplant, trimmed and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 2 1⁄2 cups jarlsberg cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) packagethinly sliced prosciutto
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a grill to medium.
- In a large bowl, toss the eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill, turning once, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Lay the bread on a work surface.
- Top 4 slices with a layer each of cheese, prosciutto, eggplant and another layer of prosciutto and cheese.
- Top with the remaining bread slices.
- Brush the outside of the sandwiches with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Grill, covered, turning once, until crisp, about 2 minutes.