Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
Mouthwatering Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas...what they are suppose to be! Please feel free to change any ingredient. Sometimes I use 8 oz of cream cheese too in addition to the sour cream..just for a little more creamy goodness! If I have leftover filling I use it for quesadillas.
- 9 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 7 ounces diced green chilies
- 2 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 20 flour tortillas
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly coat with oil or cooking spray a large 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine, chicken, 1 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, 1/1/2 cup of pepper jack cheese, diced green chillies, 2 cups of sour cream, garlic powder, chili powder and onion powder.
- Mix until well combined.
- To assemble, have a large bowl ready with the green enchilada sauce in it and a plate to roll the enchiladas on.
- Take a flour tortilla and dip it into the bowl containing the sauce until it's all covered.
- Then place on the plate and almost on the edge of one side of the tortilla add 1/4- 1/2 cup of the chicken filling depending on how full you want them to be.
- Take the tortilla with the filling on it and roll it into a tube and lay in greased baking dish.
- Repeat until you have either no room left in your pan or your out of filling.
- With the remaining sauce pour over enchiladas and smooth out on top until there is a thin layer of sauce.
- With the remaining 1/2 cup of sour cream spread evenly over the top of enchiladas.
- Take remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar and 1/2 cup of pepper jack cheese and sprinkle evenly over top of enchiladas.
- Cover with foil for the first 25 minutes of cooking.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted on top.
I had to do so many subs because of where we live and the lack of selection LOL I used my homemade salsa ( hot and mild ) and salsa verde . Wiz it in the food processor to make a "enchilada" sauce. Hubby forgot to buy the montrey cheese so I used chedder and mozza. Also used canned jalepenos to replace green chilies. This was the first time we have had enchiladas and even with all the subs they were delicious. Will make again Made for PAC Fall 2009
Great recipe! I didn't have the monterey jack pepper cheese so used a Mexican blend. I also used skinless chicken breast rather than the thighs and it was great! Got a 'thumbs up' from everyone. Although they are plenty creamy as is, I will try the cream cheese at some point. This was a real hit with everyone for dinner tonight. Thanks for the recipe.
Oh My, Oh My!!! These were Wonderful! The addition of the pepper jack cheese made these extra special. The sour cream kept the enchiladas nice and moist even though I used chicken breast instead of the skinless thighs. I also used corn tortillas because I was out of flour. This is a great recipe for enchiladas!