Recipe by GrandmaIsCooking
I hesitated to even post this recipe, since there are so many green bean casseroles on here. And yes, this one uses soup and canned French fried onions. The difference is, this recipe uses cheddar cheese soup, not cream of mushroom. I first ate it in 1973 at the home of a (then) middle-aged couple who invited my husband and me to dinner shortly after we were married.
Top Review by mlelsmb
I have been searching for this recipe since a co-worker's grandmother made it for us. Thank you so much, my family loves this version (since they are not fans of cream of mushroom!)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (3 ounce) can French-fried onions, divided
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk (preferably whole milk)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain and rinse beans (My mother always taught me to do this when using canned green beans, to get rid of the "can taste").
- In 1 1/2 to 2 quart casserole dish, mix together milk and cheese soup.
- Stir in drained beans.
- Stir in half the french fried onions.
- Place in preheated oven and cook 30-35 minutes (use the longer time if you like them a little thicker).
- Sprinkle remaining french fried onions over the top.
- Return to oven for 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot.