Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a twist to an age old recipe. The added cheese and richer texture of the casserole are a big hit amongst family and friends and is requested at every potluck meal or big family meal by even my youngest ones. Note: Unlike the traditional recipe of ages old; I don't add milk; making for a creamier, richer casserole.
- Mix drained green beans and mushroom soup together in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 can of Fried Onions and mix in well.
- Place mixture into a 2 qt casserole dish, cover and place into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes (or until mixture is bubbling).
- Remove cover and top casserole with remainder of Fried Onions and the shredded cheese (use more or less to taste).
- Return to oven for another 15-20 minutes until cheese is browned nicely.
Made for Spring PAC 2008. First words out of my 9 year olds mouth was mom, I hate green beans. I told him just to try them. Well he did and he ate two helpings! Automatic 5 stars LOL. I cut this recipe in half except for the cheese. I used two cans of reduced salt regular green beans, 1 can of soup and didn't add the fried onions. I used 2 cups of cheddar cheese though. I also added pepper. Everyone really enjoyed these and there were NONE left. Will be making these again.
This is how my family makes green bean casserole! The only thing that we do different is add cheese to the bean/soup mixture. I can't imangine eating them the old way ever again.