Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
After looking for a cheese sauce and coming up short, I created this fantastic recipe that the whole family LOVED! You can use any kind of cheese you like, but I prefer an old/sharp cheddar. The cayenne pepper only adds flavour, not heat, so if you want it hot you'll have to increase it.
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic butter
- 2 tablespoons light cream cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Combine milk, flour and dried cayenne pepper in a medium saucepan.
- Add butter and cream cheese and melt over medium-high heat.
- Add lemon juice and cheddar cheese.
- Melt cheese and stir constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens slightly.
- Reduce heat to minimum or remove from burner and continue to stir until slightly cooled.
- Serve warm over lightly cooked broccoli, cauliflower or your favourite vegetables!
I Loved this sauce. I used it over my rigate pasta instead of vegetables and it was sooooooo delicious. It is extremely flavorful. Thanks for submitting this sauce recipe.