Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
Nothing smells better than this hot bread with bubbling melted mozzarella and dusting of herbs. We have it with spaghetti and a green salad. Since it is so fast and easy, sometimes we just have it as a snack.
- 1 large Italian bread or 1 large sourdough bread
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup grated asiago cheese (Romano can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut loaf in half lengthwise.
- Mix garlic with softened butter. Spread each half with softened butter. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over each half. In a small bowl mix Asiago with remaining dry ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over bread.
- Place bread halves on ungreased baking sheet, cheese side up, and bake until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Let cool slightly. Slice into thick slices and serve immediately.