Prep 36 mins
Cook 36 mins
Dry not soggy tasty garlic bread
- 5 garlic cloves, grated
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 baguette, sliced in half horizontally (18- to 20-inch)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese (shredded Italian blend)
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400°F
- Cook garlic, 1 tablespoon butter, and water in small nonstick skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally, until straw colored, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Mix hot garlic, remaining butter, salt, and pepper in bowl and spread on cut sides of bread. Sandwich bread back together and wrap loaf in foil. Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Carefully unwrap bread and place halves, buttered sides up, on baking sheet. Bake until just beginning to color, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set oven to broil.