Prep 10 mins
Cook 27 mins
I love watching America's Test Kitchen and when I saw this recipe being made I knew I would have to post this right away. Garlic, butter, cheese and bread...what's not to love?
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Cook garlic, 1 tablespoon butter, and water in small nonstick skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally, until straw colored, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Mix hot garlic, remaining butter, salt, and pepper in bowl and spread on cut sides of bread. Sandwich bread back together and wrap loaf in foil. Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Carefully unwrap bread and place halves, buttered sides up, on baking sheet. Bake until just beginning to color, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set oven to broil.
- Sprinkle bread with cheese. Broil until cheese has melted and bread is crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer bread to cutting board with cheese side facing down. Cut into pieces.
- The serrated edges on a bread knife can pull off the cheesy crust. To prevent this, place the finished garlic bread cheese side down on a cutting board. Slicing through the crust (rather than the cheese) first will keep the cheese in place.
Really delicious cheesy bread with a mellow buttery garlic finish! I would give this 5 stars for taste but only 4 for preparation since it seemed like so many steps were involved. I liked the fact that the garlic was cooked first in the butter... I think it really made the garlic flavor come through... I think I will try just baking the bread open faced next time instead of in two separate steps... my BF was just about to die waiting on the bread for dinner!!! I sprinkled it with mozzarella and had no problem cutting it... just used a chef's knife and cut straight down and through without "slicing"back and forth... Thanks for sharing!!!
Delicious bread to go with spaghetti tonight!! I ended up using a homemade bread and spreading with the butter/garlic mixture and cheese and then toasting and broiling in toaster oven. Thanks, Cindi! Made for Spring PAC '08
I have to say I really didn't like this recipe. My husband thought it was good but he really loves cheese. I really love garlic bread and the cheese taste was too much for me.