1/1 Photo of Cheesy Frittata - South Beach
This recipe is based on the recipe provided in the first South Beach Diet book. I modified it to suit our tastes. It's appropriate for any phase of the diet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices turkey bacon
- 2 teaspoons margarine spread (like Smart Balance)
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/2 cup 1% low fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 ounce lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 1Cook turkey bacon per directions on package until crisp. Set aside. Crumble when cool.
- 2Coat an ovenproof 10" skillet with cooking spray. Melt the spread in the skillet. Add the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini, and saute over medium-low heat until the vegetables are tender, 2 - 3 minutes.
- 3Add the tomatoes, basil, and black pepper to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook until the flavors are blended, 2 - 3 minutes, and remove from the heat.
- 4Preheat the broiler.
- 5In a blender, combine the egg substitute, cottage cheese, and milk and process until smooth.
- 6Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and return to the heat source. Sprinkle the crumbled turkey bacon over the top. Cover and cook on medium-low heat until the bottom is set and the top is still slightly wet.
- 7Transfer the skillet to the broiler and broil until the top is set - 2-3 minutes.
- 8Sprinkle with the cheese and broil until the cheese melts.
- 9Serve while hot.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Frittata - South Beach
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.4
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 28.8 mg
- Sodium 616.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 21.0 g