Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This may be served as an appetizer with pizza sauce, or for a tasty sandwich, layer between toasted French bread slices!
- 1 large eggplant (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) packagesliced mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 loaf French bread (16-ounce)
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- Peel eggplant, and cut lengthwise into eight 1/4-inch slices.
- Sprinkle both sides of slices with salt; allow to sit 30 minutes.
- Rinse eggplant slices and pat both sides dry.
- Combine breadcrumbs and 1/4 teaspoons salt.
- Place slice of cheese between 2 slices of eggplant, trimming cheese to fit.
- Dip eggplant-cheese sandwich in egg, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown, cooking a few slices at a time.
- Cut French bread into 5 to 6-inch portions (to fit length of eggplant).
- Split in half lengthwise; toast.
- Place lettuce and tomato on 4 slices of French bread; top with eggplant and remaining bread slices.
- Yield: 4 servings.
- Note: Fried eggplant slices may be served as a side dish or quartered and served as an appetizer with commercial (or homemade!) pizza sauce.
I am so grateful for this recipe. It is hard getting my family to love eggplant as I do, so I wanted to try this one, cuz it sounded so yummy! This was an over all winner with everyone here. My son loved it, and my hubby too! I think he went backe for 4ths. LOL I made it with shredded mozza since I didnt have a block of cheese to cut! THanks for a great side dish!!!