Recipe by Polar Bear
Eggplant with cheese baked to produce a creamy taste sensation ! Good by itself or with roasted meat or chicken. On occasions, can be served as appetizer. From the Nitty Gritty Italian Cookbook.
- 2 medium peeled eggplants
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the eggplant 1/2´´ thick.
- Generously salt both sides of the eggplant slices and arrange them on several layers of paper towels.
- Place a pastry board over them, weighted with large cans of juice or fruit, for 1 hour.
- Then thoroughly rinse the eggplant under cold running water and drain on paper towels.
- Pat completely dry.
- Dust the eggplant with flour and saute the slices in hot oil over high heat until brown.
- Layer the eggplant in an oiled 13´´ x 9´´ baking pan with the sauce, mozzarella cheese, and basil.
- There will be 3 layers.
- Reserve some of the cheese for a topping.
- Bake in a preheated 450° oven for 10 to 12 minutes until the dish is bubbly and the cheese slightly browned.